Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August Corn Chowder

August Corn Chowder
Estimated Cost: $5.00
Notes: Make this soup with the soft whole wheat rolls for a hearty and healthful August meal.
1 tablespoon butter 1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ears of corn, kernels cut from cobs and cobs reserved (I only had 3 on hand)

1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (or 1/2 cup home roasted green chilies)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (I forgot to get these so I didn't add them and it was still great)

4 cups chicken broth
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 small summer squash, chopped
1/2 cup cream or half and half, (I've also used fat free half and half with good results)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or basil, plus more for garnish (I used cilantro and it made the soup in my opinion)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon of lime juice
shredded cheese, optional for serving (I added just a bit when I first had the soup. For leftovers I just added salt and pepper and it was perfect. So light and yummy)

chopped green onions, optional for serving
sour cream, optional for serving
In a heavy medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, corn, green chilies, and red pepper. Saute for five minutes. Add corn cobs to pan and saute an additional three minutes. Add broth, zucchini, and summer squash. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes or until every thing is tender. Remove cobs and discard. Stir in cream and cilantro and heat through. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. To serve, top with cheese, additional cilantro, green onions and cilantro.

For the rolls and more info about the recipe go HERE

No comments: